Skip to main content

Lattin a dual threat in the hurdles


In 2016, Amere Lattin qualified for the NCAA Outdoor Championships in both the 110m hurdles and 400m hurdles. He ended up placing fifth in the 100H final with a time of 13.80s.

His performance earned Lattin the chance to represent the United States at the IAAF World U20 Championships that summer. There he won a silver medal in the 110H, but once he came back to Houston his entire mindset has been on getting back to Oregon.

"It makes me keep my head down, keep grinding," Lattin said on his performance at the NCAA Championships. "Becuase I'm fifth I'm not first. And when I become first I still won't rest, I've got to keep it. It makes me keep shooting for what I want, which is to be an NCAA champion."

In his freshman season, Lattin used the success of winning the AAC Outdoor 110H and 400H championships to propel himself onto the national stage.

In his sophomore campaign, Lattin was coming off an indoor season where he earned a trip to the NCAA National Championship. There he only just missed out on the 60m hurdles final with the tenth fastest preliminary time.


Lattin nearly replicated his success at the outdoor conference meet from one year ago. The only difference was he did not run in the 4x400m relay this season. But Lattin did successfully defend his individual titles.

In the preliminaries he easily had the fastest times in both the 110H and 400H, 13.79s and 50.81s respectively. On the day of the final Lattin did not match his times, running 14.03s and 50.95s, but he was still almost two seconds faster than the next best runner in the 400H.

Now Lattin has moved his focus to the NCAA West Regional. He comes into the meet with the No. 10 mark in the 110H, 13.73s, and No. 14 in the 400H, 50.81s. Both times are personal bests for Lattin.

He had also qualified for the men's 200m but decided to focus on the hurdles. Regardless, Lattin has put himself in great position to qualify for the NCAA Championships for the second straight year and third straight season.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cornelius looking to lead throwers to victory on home track

18.88m, that was senior Cameron Cornelius’ first mark of the outdoor season. Almost two months later it is still the top shot put distance in the American Athletic Conference. Now, after missing all of last season due to injury, Cornelius is on the doorstep of qualifying for the NCAA Championships. But before that, Cornelius will have to get through the competition at the American Athletic Conference Outdoor Championships. This meet has been a spot of frustration for Cornelius in his first two seasons as he has yet to win an outdoor shot put title. Now after winning his third indoor title in as many seasons, Cornelius is looking to finally complete the double. “My freshman year and my sophomore year I thought I had it in the bag,” Cornelius said. “I had pretty big throws out there. I thought no one could catch me, I thought I was fine. But in the last rounds they did catch me. So it’s mainly thinking that I could have a two foot PR but it’s still not safe no matter what.

In Appreciation of Christian Coleman

I know I stated this blog was dedicated to covering solely UH track and field, but there are things I've wanted to say and I have no other medium in which to publish it. I first learned of Tennessee's Christian Coleman when I went to interview Leroy Burrell for a feature about how Cameron Burrell had the countries fastest 60m time. It was then Coach Burrell informed me that actually Coleman had the top time. That day I learned how fast news changes in the track and field world. But I didn't think anything of it. I had seen what Burrell did the season prior, running 6.48s in the NCAA final and losing. I thought if he could run anything close to that time then he would be an NCAA champion. And for most of the season I had no reason to think otherwise. Burrell's time kept improving as the meets progressed. Coleman still had the top time at 6.51s, but I thought that was just one race he had run and that he wouldn't match it at the final. As the cha

NCAA Indoor 60m National Championship

My view from groundlevel when Christian Coleman of Tennessee ran 6.45s, the fastest time ever, to beat UH's Cameron Burrell in the NCAA Indoor 60m national championship.